As I was spending some time reading this morning, I came across many profound statements concerning spiritual disciplines. The first is that spiritual disciplines are matters of the heart, not of outward actions. In Richard Foster's book, Celebration of Discipline, he states that "The Spiritual Disciplines are an inward and spiritual reality, and the inner attitude of the heart is far more crucial than the mechanics for coming into the reality of the spiritual life." Foster goes on to say, "The life that is pleasing to God is not a series of religious duties. We have only one thing to do, namely, to experience a life of relationship and intimacy with God." Therefore, spiritual disciplines in their pure form are an inward reality. The flip side of this is that often times our sinful nature is expressed through outward actions. This moves us to a second reality.
When we come into close contact with God we are graced with His presence and His character thus allowing us the opportunity to change from the inside out. Spiritual disciplines are not meant to be a checklist by which we claim some sort of status in a mythical spiritual hierarchy. They are the means by which we can grow closer to God and experience more of who He is. Foster states that, "God has given us the Disciplines of the spiritual life as a means of receiving His grace. The Disciplines allow us to place ourselves before God so that He can transform us." As we do our part to seek God through spiritual disciplines, we see them more as a privilege given to us by His grace. He then changes our heart as we grow closer to Him and this in turn begins to show in our actions. Our actions which were once predominantly an expression of our sinful nature become more and more and expression of our God-filled nature.
In my own life I am finding myself desiring more and more of what I would rather call the spiritual privileges. I don't care about a checklist or being able to tell about all the things I am or am not doing to pursue God. All of the methods of communing with God have their purpose and uses. I believe that it is more important that we are desiring and seeking Him in some way on a daily basis. One method may spur growth more than another in a particular season of life. I do believe that God desires to spend time with us, to pursue us and be pursued by us, and that He has given us numerous means by which to do that. Pursue Him in a way that you best connect with Him, allow Him to change your heart and watch Him change who you are in your actions.