Thursday, December 4, 2008

5 Years Running

The other day I was thinking over the past five years and what has defined me during that time. If you knew me five years ago the top three things that would likely define me would be: minister, teacher, and student. Fast forward to now and it would be quite different: husband, father, and...retail manager? So why are things so different? Or are they? That would mostly depend on who you ask.

I've spent the past five years or so in a state of constant change. It's as if the course and perhaps even the destination of my life has changed. However, I believe that there is a sovereign God who has a perfect plan for us. That doesn't mean that our lives are always going to make sense. It simply means that He knows what He's doing even when we don't have a clue what's going on.

People might not define me in the same way as they did five years ago, but that should not and does not disappoint me. I have made decisions in my life that have brought about drastic changes in the circumstances of my life. Not all of those decisions were wise let alone God-honoring, but the grace of God has shown me that He is so much bigger than our mistakes and will never forget His promises to us.

I am now starting to realize that I have been frustrated with some of the conditions of my life because God has not forgotten the calling He has placed on my life. He is renewing that call. I might not fully understand it now and I probably never will. What I do know is simple; that I am to walk with Him daily and hold onto the "life-verse" that He put on my heart years ago.

But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God. -Acts 20:24 NLT

What will my life look like five years from now?