Tuesday, January 6, 2009

When Jesus Comes Back

While at work the other night I had a man come into our store who I had seen before. He was probably in his early sixties or so. His hair was balding, but what he had was long and greasy with a grayish beard. He appeared to be in no hurry; just lumbering around gathering an assortment of junk food to buy for the night. I watched as he went about the store and then finally came to pay for what he had gathered. After I had finished ringing the man up and wishing him a good night I began to think of the song "What if Jesus Comes Back Like That."

I don't know what it was, but I thought to myself: "would I recognize Jesus when He comes back?" The lyrics to the song speak of a hobo, white trash, an orphan, and a crack baby. These are among the type of people most of us choose not to associate with. To add to the list are those we might say are disfigured, cripple, obese, sickly, ugly, poor or whatever. The point is not that Jesus would come back as any of these but rather the principle of the matter. We are all God's creation and were created in His perfect image. But do we see others this way?

Are we so blinded by the storybook image of Jesus that we fail to remember what the prophet Isaiah said:

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Isaiah 53:2b-3)

This all caused me to begin examining the way that I look at others. I, like so many others, look at people with certain prejudices and stereotypes and for what? So that I might have a sense that I am somewhat better than them? No, I believe that it is moreso my lack of seeing the beauty of God's creation in everything and everyone. When we fail to see God, we fail to recognize who He is. Will I recognize Jesus when He returns? I truly hope that I will as I begin to see Him in others.